Saturday, April 26, 2008

Week 7: Podcasting and Online Hosted Video

This week's discovery and reading exercises have been related to podcasting and online hosted videos. We were to consider how it would relate to our library and if there was any potential use for either resource in the medical library.

I've been aware of and familiar with podcasting (on the receiving end) for a few years. I have listened to a few podcasts via I-Tunes, and find this service to be fairly easy and user friendly. I listened to portions of the assigned podcasts: Univ TN HSC and Claude Moore HSL. I didn't care for any of the presentations from University of TN HSC. However, the Claude Moore HSL has aptly utilized the podcasting source by using it for CME lectures. Although there is no video to go along with the lecture, the audio portion is excellent. I find this good for doctors who may not be able to physically attend a lecture on the assigned date, but can download and listen to the audio portion at a later date. This way, there is the possibility for a doctor to earn CME credits. I also listened to portions of NEJM this week; MedlinePlus; and Ann Intern Med podcasts via I-Tunes.

This resource could be a possibility in some community hospitals who would be able to set up podcasting capability, possibly through the Nursing Education department, or the Medical Library, or even through the Continuing Medical Education department in cooperation with their IT department. Other possibilities for podcasting can be helpful if a doctor would want to listen to some other audio resources, such as NEJM this week, or Annals of Internal Medicine.

Online hosted videos are a horse of a different color, especially in using YouTube. Many community hospitals have firewalls and security issues that prevent people from viewing even the health-related resources on YouTube. On the other side of the coin, I personally cannot see community hospitals or their libraries using online hosted videos. I feel this resource is best used by the academia. I did find a video on YouTube by a university library that I found useful for students who would be attending the school in the future, or even possibly to help familiarize a student presently attending the school with the library facility and what they have to offer. This video was not a "true" video. The Montana State University Renne Library chose to use slides and audio to create their "video," and was well done. See below.



No comments: